Tuesday, March 17, 2009

leapin' leprachauns.

Happ St. Patty's day to you all!
Yesterday Brinley came home with a note.
"please make a leprachaun trap tonight with your child."
Brinley was THRILLED! She thought up the idea she wanted to use.
I helped her...just a little.
When the Leprachaun comes for the "gold"(chocolate eggs), a cup, hidden to look like the tree, will fall on him. I ended up going to school with her today. Her teacher LOVED Brinley's trap. There were quite a few other traps there too. Each of the kids got to show the class how their trap worked.
While they were at music, a Leprachaun (or two) came and messed up the room, set off the traps and ate some of the chocolates that were in the traps. Along with leaving gold string and cookies.
The look on their faces were priceless. Those kids were so surprised and loved it. (Is it horrible that we trick our children like that? I think it's great and makes for wonderful memories. It's part of the magic, like Christmas, right?)
I heard one of the boys say "I can't believe a Leprachaun was here! and we missed him."
2 years ago, I was in a preschool group where each week one mom took their turn teaching. I taught the week of St. Patricks Day. After Brinley got up, I covered her bedroom in tiny footprints and hid some chocolate coins. The kids followed the footprints to the gold coins. They all wanted to keep the little footprints and made trails all over my house with them. Brinley talked about that year all last week. I couldn't find the gold coins at the store this year, but she woke up to green milk.


3 comments:

Darla said...

SO clever, Brinley (and Arah)! I don't remember anything about Leprochaun traps when I was growing up..but I know Cole LOVES the whole St. Pattys Day thing and I'm gonna have to make a bigger deal of it (seeing that it's Geof.'s bday, as well).

Darla said...

me again. I think ours is the last week of March/first week of April as well. Don't wanna overwhelm you guys..but we'd love to come towards the end, when you get back from Utah. If it works.., right?

Becky said...

such FUN ideas! You are such a fun mom. This year I was totally out of it and completely forgot to even dress my kids in green. oops. I might feel more human next year!