Sunday, April 20, 2008

This morning, I got a call at 7:30...
"Arah. Hi it's Heather. Sorry to call you so early. We have a baby at the hospital and they would like some pictures. Would you like to go?"
"Yeah, sure." I say.
"One thing, Heather Evans can't make it today. Are you gonna be alright to do it yourself?"
"Uh. Sure, I'll be there...would 10 o'clock be okay?"
"Yeah, I don't think they are going anywhere."
"Okay, Thanks Heather."

Well, there is one way to get out of saying the prayer in Sacrament Meeting.
I spent the rest of the morning feeling extremely nervous, getting Brinley ready to go to Grandma's house, charging my camera battery, etc., etc.
I get to the hospital. The nurses tell me that the mom just left, so it's just me and the baby... I feel a little more relaxed because I was more worried about the parents than taking pictures of the baby, mostly because you never know the parent reactions, if they want to hold the baby, if they are very emotional, etc.
They take me to this little room called Angel Place. Just me, my camera, and a beautiful little girl. It wasn't at all what I thought. I don't think you can get any closer to heaven, than spending time with a baby, even if it's spirit has already gone. She was so tiny, only 13 inches long and so delicate.
I have to think about these babies as being some one's child, who they love and grieve over. I think it helps that I have been in their position. Sometimes these pictures are all that they have to remember their baby by. It makes me feel good that I can help another family with their grieving. I am always looking to help in anyway I can.
The new issue of NW Women magazine has an article about Forget Me Not. It has one of Olivia's pictures in it, just of our hands. I really hope that it gives the organization the attention it deserves.
I am still collecting scrapbook supplies for the MISS Conference, also, we are trying to raise money so that more parents can go to it. If you have any suggestions for a way to raise a few dollars, please let me know.

8 comments:

janet said...

what an incredible experience!! I am sure it was very emotional (and healing?) for you to be able to do this for another family... especially since you have been through a similar situation!

Josh n Betsie said...

That is awesome arah. Not only are you an AWESOME photographer but you are an AWESOME STRONG lady. I look up to you.
love ya

dippyrooroo said...

What an amazing thing to be able to do for another mother. That's wonderful.

Cindy said...

Hey Arah,
I haven't read blogs for a long time and you have been busy doing lots of things. It's so great you can be a part of other people's experiences with losing a baby. You are such a saint. Thanks for inviting Kylee to the party. She had a blast. Also, the top picture is my last blog is right after the race and the bottom pictures are after we had gotten home and showered. Pretty soon I'll be getting the pictures of me while I'm actually running the race so you can see how exhausting it really is. I love looking back at pictures of little ones growing up. YOu forget how small they start out. Can't wait to you see you at GNO.

DeAnne said...

I think what you are doing is incredible and amazing. I just love you.

DeAnne said...

I think what you are doing is incredible and amazing. I just love you.

Lisa Farman said...

Clearly you have been given your gift of photography for a reason and you are using that gift for God's work. You always amaze me with your strangth and your faith. Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us.

Forever Young said...

You are an angel...I hope you know what blessings you are bringing to the lives of those who you offer your Godly service.

PS: To raise money, put together a small very very polished proposal/presentation (ie: what you will be able to do with X amount of $$$, and why it is important) and visit every LARGE company that you can think of. Most companies have a set amount of $$$ that they put aside for charity (it is a tax right off for them). Hope that helped!!