Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The New Years Baby

I have grown up with the tradition of the New Years Baby. My dad did it as a kid and I think his dad did it too...? Anyway, on New Years Eve, we set a shoe by the door (when we were younger, we would find our biggest shoe, usually a boot, thinking we would get more in it) and the New Years Baby leaves goodies in it...usually a magazine, a candy and drink sometimes a toy. My sister, Julie, and her family stayed the night at our house and were visited also...their shoes has better stuff...okay, I just forgot about it until about 1am last night, and 7-11 was the only thing open.
Since a lot of my Erickson cousins read this, do any of you still have the New Years Baby visit?

7 comments:

Marisa said...

Everyone in the Bruce Erickson family still does it! Ours usually have candy, a drink, and a new year's noisemaker in them. I think it's the best tradition because it's always so sad when Christmas is over!

Kaisa Bailey said...

The Julia Thomson family still does it! We usually have a soda in a bottle or a midget can, a candy bar and something little. Us girls usually got lip smackers when we were little and the boys would get paddle ball or something like it...my boys got little puzzles! It is the best tradition. What makes it even better is that it's not commercialized because no one else does it. It's our very own secret holiday!

Megan Erickson said...

Yes, Jordan makes sure we do it every year and I am sad that we didn't get a picture of it this morning! Usually the girls get a little toy and maybe a fruit snack or granola bar and Jordy gets us a can of soda and candy bar! If we ever have any body else staying with us.. we just raid the pantry and they get random stuff! I love this new tradition for our family!

kim said...

I love this idea. It is so much fun. In Germany, on December 6th, they have St. Nicholaus Tag and the idea is the same. Wish we had something fun like that.

janet said...

What a fun tradition! Who came up with that? How fun to get more goodies.. although it's hard to start on your healthy traditions for the new year when your shoes are filled with temptations. But we may have to adopt that idea for next year!

Wendy said...

That sounds like a really cool tradition. I like how someone said that its your own "secret holiday." It must be cause I've never heard of it, but I like the idea.

birdeeb said...

Oh my gosh what a cute tradition!