Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thursday: Thanksgiving was spent at my parents house. Julie, Merv, Cody, Uncle Gary, Kerri, Kami were all there. It was actually a quiet year, and I was alright with that. What did we do all day?...


My cute mother cooking up some delicious bird.

Matt watching some TV. I think just about every picture I got of him, he was sitting here.


I love puzzles and just about every holiday we bust one out and I finished it, with a little help.



We made button trees. Julie found these on Ali Edwards blog (www.aliedwards.typepad.com) If you like to scrapbook or craft, you will love her blog. It kept the kids busy all day long! Please excuse my daughter in her underwear, she doesn't like to wear pants.


Since my mom was cooking, I finished hers. They take forever to do, but they turned out really cute. My sister, Julie, below.


Kami brought her Wii Guitar. Merv was rockin' out to some great tunes...

Friday: Black Friday. Every year my mom and sisters, Becca and Julie, get up at the butt-crack of dawn to go shopping. I didn't really need anything since I had already shopped and wrapped most of my Christmas gifts this year...but it's tradition. So at 4 am I was up and going. Julie, who instigates this tradition, didn't even get out of bed until about 10:30am, even after 10 phone calls to get her going.

It was also Matt's birthday. I am a horrible wife and didn't get him anything. I couldn't really think of anything to get him. That is sad. We are going to go out tonight to celebrate, so hopefully that will make up for it.

Every year we also make it over to Coeur d'Alene for the annual parade, fireworks and lighting of the resort. The parade isn't that great so this year we just went for the fireworks. It was about 25 degrees outside and you have to walk about 1 mile to get down to where the festivities take place...with 4 kids in tow. It will be on Good Morning America Wednesday at about 7:30am if anyone is interested in watching. They actually will light fireworks again...at 3:30-4am. I don't think I will be there this time.

This is usually the day I decorate my house for Christmas. So Brinley and I set up our tree and pulled out the ornaments and decorations. For some reason, it just made me really sad...I kept thinking of all the memories I had with Brinley at Christmas time and realized that I won't have those with Olivia. So, I didn't decorate this year like I have in the past...there will be no lights on the outside of my house, I just don't have the energy to do it.

Sunday: Finally...a day of rest. We went to church, as usual. We were a little late...as usual. When we sat down I looked at the program and noticed it was about Thanksgiving. Right away, I began to think about what I would say if I was called up to bear my testimony. Well sure enough, our dear, sweet Bishop noticed we had a few extra minutes after the talks and my name was called. Matt said I was composed and did a great job, but I really don't remember half of what I said. I am just glad I was prepared.

So today, Monday, starts a whole new week. One where there isn't a holiday and there isn't family is in town. One where I have to keep myself busy. So, I went to visit Olivia's grave while Brinley was in school, and had a good cry and great conversation with her. This spring we are going to plant grass and clean up her plot. She has lots of deer come visit. They like her flowers. I think I might take some apples up there next time. I figure that's the least I can do when they keep my little girl company.

We are expecting snow tonight, 2-4 inches. I will believe it when I see it...the weather people here aren't very accurate. Brinley is excited and wants to go sledding immediately! We'll see...

8 comments:

kim said...

Busy is good, you don't have time to think. We always went to Coeur d'Alene as a family. I miss that, but not the cold. It's a balmy 42 here. Love ya!

janet said...

What a weekend! I am sure it's smart to stay as busy as possible. Especially since you already did all your shopping.. I love the early morning madness the day after Thanksgiving.

Love the button trees.. we will have to try those.

And THAT Bishop of yours is a wise one.. good for you for staying composed! I wish we could have been there to hear your testimony. We would SO love to join you in sledding too, but then head back to the warmth!

julie said...

hey arah, it was snowing up by my house at 6pm tonight. i offered to bring brinley home from moms, but decided by the time you guys were ready to pick her up there would be a full blown blizzard up here. cody would love to go sledding with brinley though! :)

Kim and Aaron W. said...

Ahhhh, your testimony was great and very touching. I loved listening to your sweet spirit bear witness. If you need anything to do this week, call me and we can scrapbook or do a crafty thing with the girls... Karlie would LOVE that! I have yet to set anything up for Christmas... I do need to get started though...

arah said...

Julie, you really gotta get yourself a blog.
We watched an accident being cleaned up out our front window tonight. Way better than watching TV! I'm sure we will be seeing WAY too many of those this winter.
Let's go sledding...love ya.

birdeeb said...

Julie's hair is adorable! Looks like you had a great holiday! I really like reading your blog! It's not snowing here yet ;o)

The Barney's said...

okay arah, those button trees are one of the cutest things i've ever seen. i looked on the site you gave but couldn't find them. where did you fet such a variety of buttons???? glad you guys got the snow and not us...we've had snow almost every day this week but it only last a little while thank goodness. the pict of you and matt is so cute. love ya

Laur said...

Arah! What a cute idea with those button trees. How did you stick on the buttons? and where did you get so many darling buttons?
Also, you have inspired me to pull out a puzzle. Its been a long time. Love you!!!