Thursday, January 14, 2010

fun and funky

I am going to try hard to post at least once a week on this blog.
My birthday was last Monday. It was quiet and nice. My sister, Julie, colored my hair a few days before. Over the weekend, Matt took me out to dinner at Italian Kitchen (and it was DELICIOUS), while Matt's sister, Ami, took the girls and surprised me with a birthday cake when we picked them up. On my birthday, my sister Julie had us over for dinner and ice cream.
As a little birthday gift to myself, I changed my kitchen. I have been wanting to paint a chalk board wall for ages. WE LOVE IT!!! It's been so much fun. Even Sarah puts a few marks on it. It's not as messy as I thought it might become.
You might notice that the bottom cabinet color has changed too. Matt thought I was nuts at first, but as I painted more of them... (the color is Surfer by Behr)
he LOVED it as much as I do. The kitchen isn't finished, so I won't give you a pic of the whole thing until it's done. We found the doors to the top cabinets in the garage (YIPPEE!) So those are going back up too.
We have big plans for our house this year...windows, insullation, new doors, electrical, finish the basement and add a new bathroom, and other bedroom storage closet and an entertainment room, along with egress windows, painting the outside of the house and ripping out a few trees and shrubs, and moving the fence... Hopefully we can get it done, and if not...there is always next year.

10 comments:

Jillyn said...

Oh, i *love* the color of your cabinets! I'm sure the whole house will look wonderful when you're done :D

The Wright Stuff said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!! I had no idea! Better late than never, I guess! What day?
You are so unbelievably talented, Arah. Want to come to my house and paint a chalkboard wall for me?? I have been wanting to do it for so long and just haven't figured out where to put it yet! It looks awesome! The cabinets look cool too. It makes me want to have some bubblegum ice cream from Baskin Robbins... Can't wait to see the finished product!

Megan Erickson said...

Happy Birthday! Love the chalk wall that is a perfect place for it and I LOVE the color of your newly painted cabinets! Very cute!

Unknown said...

Love the wall and the way fun cabinets. Might as well have a way fun kitchen can't wait to see pictures when its all finished! Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a blast!

Alison said...

How fun! Keep us posted on cute re-do pictures - I love em!

Forever Young said...

Love projects:)Can't waite to see how it all turns out. Please post as you finish them.

Gaylynn said...

Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see all of the improvements. Your house is so cute anyway; a true cottage. The color of the cabinets may be bold, but it fits your personality to a 'T.' The two dressers in my bedroom are in the same color-family; a bit more muted, but still a wonderful shade of turquoise. The chalkboard is delightful. My parents had one just off our kitchen when I was a little girl. I still have memories of drawing on it while my mother cooked wonderful food. Hmmmmmmmmmmm......you're going to create memories with that simple black wall.

DeAnne said...

Yay! Arah's back! I love your pictures. What a fun idea- a chalk wall.

ciaobellaluca said...

I love that color & especially the big custom chalkboard wall--I bet you are having just as much fun w/ it as the girls! Hey, Sheree tells me that you are thinking of doing a triathalon this summer. I say YES...you should!! I will be on the sidelines cheering your guys on!!!! Hey did you ever go that fabric shop opening?? If so, how was it??

Darla said...

Chalk kitchen wall, turqoisey cabinets..wonderful, just wonderful.